Heidi Hamler, Napa College Counselor, announces June 2017 College Planning Guide
Hi, Class of 2018 Students and Families!
School is almost out for the summer. Whoo-hoo!!!
The idea of sleeping in everyday, having zero homework, and hanging out with friends for hours on end sounds pretty fantastic about right now, I’m sure. If you’re planning on heading to college in the Fall 2018, I encourage you to consider using some of your summertime hours to prepare for the upcoming college application season, which starts on August 1, 2017. Here are some actions to take now and throughout the summer that will benefit you and your college planning process.
1) VISIT COLLEGES OR WATCH VIRTUAL COLLEGE TOURS ONLINE
Use this checklist to make the most of your college visits: CHECKLIST
Visiting colleges takes planning, time, and money. If you are unable to visit colleges in person, consider watching virtual tours online instead. Many college websites have a virtual tour you can experience. You can also try the website youvisit.com. This website has over 500 college virtual tours.
2) START DRAFTING YOUR COLLEGE APPLICATION ESSAYS
Don’t know how to start? Call or email me, Heidi Hamler, for professional guidance 707-225-2530 or email@example.com. Or, go here for some fantastic essay online writing guidance: www.collegeessayguy.com
3) CONSIDER TAKING THE AUGUST 26, 2017 SAT TEST
Register here: REGISTER
- Follow an interest. What do you enjoy doing? (Sorry…eating, sleeping in, and watching movies don’t count in this particular case.)
- Consider an internship in an area of career or personal interest. If an employer cannot pay you, work for free and gain job skills.
- Create a business. Do you enjoy teaching others? Start a summer tutoring business.
- Think outside the box. Summer learning programs are available in just about every area of study, from the arts and sciences to languages and athletics. They may be offered at colleges, museums, performing-arts centers and recreation centers.
- Volunteer. Learn about life and yourself. Pitch in at a local charity. For those of you in the Napa area, a local volunteer organization is Napa Valley CanDo. Check it out here: www.nvcando.org.
- Read! Read! Read! Reading opens your mind and introduces other worlds while sharpening important skills such as comprehension and vocabulary. (Research shows that reading is also one of the best ways to improve your SAT and ACT scores, by the way.)
SOME UPCOMING TASKS AND DATES TO REMEMBER:
Register by July 28, 2017 for the August 26, 2017 SAT test
University of California (UC) Applications and Common Applications become available on August 1, 2017. Create online accounts and start your applications early. You’ll be glad you did!
Register for Fall (September – November) SAT/ACT or SAT Subject tests. Click here to REGISTER.
Register for Fall (September – November) ACT test dates. Click here to REGISTER.