While still a college student at California State University, Fresno, I worked in the university’s career services department. It was there, working side by side with experienced career counselors, where I first learned to help young adults discover their strengths and passions, and use this self-knowledge to find meaningful work and careers. I have taken academic and professional training courses in counseling and have worked for years with a variety of programs and services, such as crisis hotlines and community counseling centers.
I was employed at New Technology High School in Napa, CA for over eight years, and oversaw an innovative job internship program, spending one-on-one time with students as a career planning advisor. I was delighted to help each student determine his/her strengths, interests, and goals, make connections between these talents and passions and possible career paths. I helped guide students to fields of study in college, while teaching such practical skills as resume and cover letter writing, professional portfolio development, networking and interviewing techniques, and professionalism and ethics. I have supervised over 700 students and can’t possibly express how personally and professionally fulfilling it is to see students “come into their own.”
For me, it is an honor and a privilege to help others find college and career paths that bring them satisfaction, inspiration, and continued expansion of their learning and professional skills.
- Professional Certification Program, College Admissions and Career Planning, UC Berkeley Extension, Berkeley, CA
- Myers Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI®), Certified Administrator
- Career Technical Education Teaching Credential, Metropolitan Education, San Jose, CA
- Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Studies, California State University, Fresno, CA
- National Association of College Admission Counseling (NACAC) Member
- Higher Education Consultants Association (HECA) Member
- Western Association for College Admission Counseling (WACAC) Member